Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Trip

I think that Mouse remembered Huston, too. 


At long last, I finally have the time to sit down in front of this computer and tell you all about what a great trip we had visiting Huston Jenkins in Missouri. I admire Huston so much. He is an amazing horseman and a wonderful person. I learned so much from him in just a few days by watching how he handles the horses and rides and also by listening to his stories about the horses he loves so much. 
He has such a wonderful family as well. His son and two daughters all live near by now. They all made us feel comfortable and at home like we were part of the family. His daughters, Nancy and Wanda, cooked the most wonderful meals for us all weekend. I don't know when I've eaten so well! Huston agrees that they are great cooks and he says that they learned it all from their mother, Patty. They lost Patty last year. She was the most amazing woman. They tell me that she was always so hospitable to guests in their home. I remember how welcome she made me feel the one time I met her in person and I enjoyed so much our phone conversations over the years; she always made me feel as if we were old friends that had known each other forever. She is so greatly missed but her spirit lives on in her family and their love for her. I've always said that I've gained so much from having horses enter my life five years ago through my beautiful Mouse, which Huston raised and trained. The people that I've met through horses have all added so much to my life and Huston and his wonderful family are at the top of that list. I can't thank him or them enough. 
We were much later arriving at Huston's home than we'd anticipated...of course, Steve and I are always late for everything, lol. This time it wasn't all our fault. Mapquest had told us that the trip would take 10 and 1/2 hours but it took us over 12 thanks to road construction, unexpected storms, and hitting St Louis right at rush hour. We did finally arrive right at darkness on Thursday night. Huston met us on the highway and guided us back to his farm. Mouse was so happy to get out of that trailer but she wheeled around and pulled me toward the fence when she saw her baby boy standing there. Huston had told me that she would remember him and I'm sure she did. I found her the next morning, nuzzling another mare across the fence. Huston told me that it was her full sister. Animals, especially horses, never cease to amaze me. 
Huston's farm was like a little bit of heaven to me. I'd get up early in the morning and go out to take photos or just to sit on the porch and watch the horses run in the pasture across from the house. It was just a perfect weekend, clear blue skies, sunshine and enough wind to keep us cool. We rode horses on Friday in the barn and then we went hunting for tack. We didn't find the tack we wanted but the shopping was fun. If we'd realized that we'd be bringing two new horses home instead of one, we might have been shopping more seriously. But more on that later. I've got to go start supper but I will write more about our fantastic weekend later including a visit to the Nissan farm to meet the stud we are breeding Mouse to(!) and to also meet Mouse's sire or daddy, Gray Stud Mouse. There is a photo of him below with Huston but I will more shots of him tomorrow....promise:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If I Could Fly

If I Could Fly
The wind of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears.